Lipton No. 217 is a rural municipality in Saskatchewan, Canada encompassing 813.69 square kilometers in area. The rural municipality maintains its office in Lipton, Saskatchewan.
In 1905 when Saskatchewan became a Province, the form of our present municipal government was established. Under the legislation rural municipalities were to consist of nine townships.
In 1911 the Local Improvement District No. 217 was established. and discussions took place as to the name of the proposed new Rural Municipality, The first choice was Jumping Deer and the second choice was Lipton. The matter of becoming a municipality was taken to the ratepayers, and they voted in favour of becoming a municipality. The Rural Municipality of Lipton, No. 217 was established in 1912.
The Municipality consists of nine townships, each containing thirty-six sections of land. The Municipality is divided into six divisions, each division containing one and a half townships. Each Division is represented by an elected member. The Reeve is elected at large. Elections are held every four years. In even year, the Reeve and Divisions 1,3,5 Councillors are elected; and in the odd years Divisions 2,4,6 are elected.
Council meets on a monthly basis to discuss the business of the Municipality. The meetings are held in the Council Chambers of the Municipal Office and are open to the public, which is located in the Village of Lipton. The Municipality operates under the provisions of the Municipal Act, being Provincial legislation.
The R.M. of Lipton No. 217 Office Building and Site is a Municipal Heritage Property located at 226 Main Street in the Village of Lipton. The property features a one-story red-brick veneer office building which was constructed in 1928.
The heritage value of the property resides in its association with the development of local government service in the Lipton area. Under The Rural Administrative Act of 1909, Local Improvement Districts could petition the provincial government for incorporation as a Rural Municipality. The R.M. of Lipton No. 217 was incorporated in 1911. The present Lipton R.M. office building was completed in October, 1928 and has served continuously as the RM office since that date.
The heritage value of the property also resides in its architecture. The building was designed by Saskatchewan architect William Swan. Swan, who also was the Secretary-Treasurer of the R.M. of Punnichy No. 248 for over four decades, designed many schools and small public buildings in the area. Swan supervised the construction of projects for the federal Department of Indian Affairs and, in conjunction with the University of Saskatchewan, he designed prototypical farm buildings that were constructed on dozens of farmsteads across the Prairies. Swan died in 1973. Swan designed the building in the Stripped Classical Style, which was common to public buildings in the post-World War I period. The simple lines and red-brick veneer, and the projecting rear walk-in safe reflect its functional design, while projecting an image of permanence and stability. The restrained corner pilasters and unadorned cornice also contribute to this image. The property has retained its original sign on the front of the building.
Village of Lipton Bylaw No.5, 2007